Main Point: We never know when we will be the next “link in a chain” to help someone become a Christian, so we must stay focused on faithfully sharing the message of Jesus with those around us.
The Online Clip:
Igniter Media is a Christian group dedicated to producing videos that help believers share their faith and their Savior. Strangers is a terrific example of that endeavor. It shows how one young man met Christ through a woman he’s never met. It’s a really cool story, and one that’s easy to follow. Take a look at how Kim impacted Nate, even though they’ve never met.
The video can be found online at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZiR7qCwSE
What a cool story, huh? Many of you are probably wondering if the story of Nate and Kim is actually a true one, and I don’t have the answer to that. But what I do know is that stories just like these happen all the time in God’s Kingdom! In fact, I think they would happen even more often if we were dedicated to faithfully sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with others. You see, we never know when we will be the next “link in a chain” to help someone become a Christian, so we must stay focused on faithfully sharing the message of Jesus with those around us. Who knows what will happen if we do that. Let’s take a look at an ancient example of this video clip to see how we should live our lives today.
Divide into Small Groups:
Let’s go ahead and split up into our discussion groups, and then afterward we’ll come back together for a final word.
CLICK HERE for a quick training article on how to maximize your small groups using our small group format—a great resource to equip your small group leaders.
- AROUND THE CIRCLE: As we get started, let’s all take a second to share our names and a person who’s played a big role in your life besides our parents.
- ASK A FEW: Why was the video entitled “Strangers”?
- ASK A FEW: Can anybody name all the players in that story AND their roles in helping Nate come to faith in Jesus? (Kim; she took her faith seriously in college and shared it with her roommate. Lisa; took her faith seriously and shared it with her co-worker. Thomas; learned to forgive others and intentionally shared his testimony with thousands of others. James; let the Gospel affect how he saw others. Nate; learned that he was loved by a Heavenly Father even though he didn’t have an earthly father.)
- ASK A FEW: What does this video teach us about the intentionality of those people? In other words, what did the Gospel of Jesus make each one of them do?
- ASK A FEW: Do you think it’s possible to have an influence on someone you’ve never met, like Kim did with Nate? Why or why not?
- ASK A FEW: There were several “links” in the chain between Kim and Nate. What would have happened if any single one of them had dropped the ball?
- ASK A FEW: Do you think God could use you to change the life of someone in Hong Kong or Belize or Moscow…even though you’ve never been to those places? If so, how?
Read the following passage:
2 Thessalonians 2:13 – 3:1
But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 14 He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. 16 May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, 17 encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word. Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you.
After watching this video clip with you guys, and then reading God’s Word from 2 Thessalonians, I have a promise for you….
The only way you’ll know the extent of your impact and influence on God’s Kingdom is if you do nothing.
But if you start living out your faith, and talking about Jesus, and sharing your testimony with others, and pointing everything back to the One who died for you, then you won’t know how far your influence and impact goes until you get to Heaven!!! How cool is that!?
You see, God’s Kingdom on Earth is really, really big. And He has given us a really big job. God is so infinite in His wisdom that we might start out our faith-sharing journey by talking with Trey…only to end up making an impact on Elizabeth. We just don’t know. But the good thing is, we don’t have to worry about that.
The only thing we need to be concerned with is this: making every day count for Jesus. If we do that, there will be plenty of “strangers” in Heaven who never got a chance to meet us on Earth, but will be grateful with us for all of eternity.
Now, let me leave you with this last piece of encouragement that your parents will almost surely hate…
Go talk to strangers!
Close in Prayer
Written by David R Smith
Jonathan McKee is the author of over twenty books including the brand new The Guy's Guide to FOUR BATTLES Every Young Man Must Face; The Teen’s Guide to Social Media & Mobile Devices; If I Had a Parenting Do Over; and the Amazon Best Seller - The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket. He speaks to parents and leaders worldwide, all while providing free resources for youth workers on TheSource4YM.com. Jonathan, his wife Lori, and their three kids live in California.