MAIN POINT: This is a fun game designed to start a discussion about healthy relationships and safe dating habits.
Preparation: To get ready for this game, you are going to need a few different supplies. We recommend using pipe and drape so that you can divide the bachelor/bachelorette from the other contestants. You’ll need at least 4 chairs (one for each contestant), a plastic spoon, a can of sardines, crunchy and creamy peanut butter, and videos of The Dating Game and Oompa Loompas from YouTube.
Before the game starts, gather all of your students together and say something along the lines of “Tonight we are going to do the dating game. How many of you have heard of this game?”
(After polling the group, you can discuss some of their favorite dating shows.)
“The game we’re gonna play is SO OLD it was from before MY time pretty much… So we can see how it’s done, we’re going to watch a short video clip from the original game show in 1973. Then we’ll play a few rounds for fun. Be sure and encourage students to ham it up, the cheesier the better!
Video suggestion: Andy Kauffman’s surprise guest appearance 1973.
1. Each round, 1 bachelor/bachelorette volunteer will question 3 mystery contestants of the opposite sex who are hidden from view. Encourage potential “suitors” to elaborate on their answers.
2. At the end of the questioning period, the bachelor/bachelorette will choose a winner one who will win the date! Attention: STUDENTS ARE NOT ACTUALLY SETTING UP DATES. This to be spoofy and fun!
1. Bachelor # 1: Which would be your choice for a first date:
a) A guided tour of a chicken processing plant.
b) A picnic in the city dump
2. Bachelor # 2: Finish this rhyme: “Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall…”
3. Bachelor # 3: What is your favorite dental instrument?
4. Bachelor # 1: I just happen to have a can of sardines with me. Will you eat one for a chance for a date with me?
5. Bachelor # 2: Would you make up a short poem about the movie “The Notebook” (or another sappy chick flick) and recite it to me now for a date with me?
6. Bachelorette # 1: Which would be your choice for a first date:
a) Your Parents kitchen.
b) Mowing my parent’s lawn together.
7. Bachelorette # 2: Peanut butter: creamy or chunky? Show your love for me by putting 3 spoons of peanut butter in your mouth and say the pledge of allegiance without swallowing any.
8. Bachelorette # 3: Will you sing along with the “Oompa Loompa” song from “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory” for a chance at a date with me?
9. Bachelorette # 1: What is your favorite muscle on a guy? Ok, now flex those muscles for the audience. If they cheer loud enough, you’ll get a chance at a date with me.
10. Bachelorette # 2: Would you make up a short poem about the movie “The Avengers” (or another macho guy movie) and recite it to me now for a date with me?
11. Bachelorette # 3: Pretend you’re a guy and ask me out on a date. Oh, and be sure to do it in your deepest, most masculine “guy voice”.
Jonathan McKee is the author of over twenty books including the brand new The Bullying Breakthrough; The Teen’s Guide to Social Media & Mobile Devices; If I Had a Parenting Do Over; and the Amazon Best Seller - The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket. He speaks to parents and leaders worldwide, all while providing free resources for youth workers on TheSource4YM.com. Jonathan, his wife Lori, and their three kids live in California.