This is a fun little UP FRONT game that doesn’t require much preparation. Bring up 2 or 3 students and throw some “survival” questions at them and see who gets the most points. If you have small whiteboards, give each student one so that they can write their answer down for each question. Make sure to give the winner a prize. The correct answers have an asterisk [*] beside them.
Note: We used this game as an “advertisement” for a weekend retreat. We’d been promoting our retreat for several weeks and wanted to really hype it so we devised this game and offered the winner a cool prize: a “survival bag,” which was a string bag filled with 5 Hour Energy drinks, some candy bars, a toothbrush, deodorant, soap, event T-shirt, and other products necessary to make it through the weekend.
Here are the questions:
1. If you are stranded in the wilderness and can only find berries to eat, you’ll want to know which kind is safe for consumption. Which berry is safe?
2. How long can a person survive without food?
*40 days (Even Jesus did this.)
3. Your plane went down in Alaska and you’re trying to walk back into civilization and safety. Unfortunately, you encounter a large bear. Given Alaska’s indigenous bears, what is the likelihood that you’re staring at a grizzly bear?
*0% (They are not indigenous to that area.)
4. It is always safe to drink from a water source as long as it’s running, for instance, a river.
5. If you’re lost in South America, and you have the option to walk uphill or downhill, which should you choose?
*Downhill (This path will help you find fresh water the fastest because water flows downhill.)
6. Is it safe to drink your own urine?
*Yes (For a little while at least….)
7. How many states have had Bigfoot sightings?
50. There are idiots everywhere.
*47. Thank God for Delaware, Nebraska, and Kansas.
25. Exactly half of Americans are delusional.
13. A suspicious number for a suspicious topic.
8. On average, how many people die from snakebites each year in America?
9. How long can the average person live without water?
10. If a bull shark swims at you, what gives you the best chance of survival?
Swimming away from it.
Pretend to dead.
Thrash around in the water and make a bunch of noise.
Just poop your pants; at least you’ll leave a bad taste in his mouth.
11. If you build a campfire and the smoke just hovers along the ground instead of going up into the air, what should you prepare for?
Attack of wild animals
Jonathan McKee is the author of over twenty books including the brand new The Guy's Guide to FOUR BATTLES Every Young Man Must Face; The Teen’s Guide to Social Media & Mobile Devices; If I Had a Parenting Do Over; and the Amazon Best Seller - The Guy's Guide to God, Girls and the Phone in Your Pocket. He speaks to parents and leaders worldwide, all while providing free resources for youth workers on TheSource4YM.com. Jonathan, his wife Lori, and their three kids live in California.