Who Is Jesus?
Knowing who Jesus is, and living according to that knowledge, is the most important purpose in life.
The “Who is Jesus?” Quiz
This discussion starter is fairly simple. Just print off enough copies of this quiz for every student in your group. Make sure everyone has a pen/pencil, and then give them about 6 minutes to take it. It’s fairly simple, so it shouldn’t take too long. Finally, use the answers included in this resource to “grade” them immediately afterwards. (You’ll use those “grades” to launch your discussion.)
Who Is Jesus?
Answers to Quiz
- Where (city) was He born?___________________________________________________
- What were His parents’ names? ______________________________________________
- How many sins did Jesus commit in His life? _____________________________________
- How did He die? ___________________________________________________________
- List 3 miracles Jesus performed, according to the Bible.____________________________
- (True or False) Jesus claimed to have existed as God before His birth on Earth. _______
- (True or False) Jesus claimed the ability to forgive people’s sins. _______
- (True or False) Jesus predicted His own death and resurrection. _______
- (True or False) Jesus said He was the only way to the Father in Heaven. _______
- (True or False) Jesus was homeless throughout His public ministry. _______
1. Bethlehem (Matthew 2:1)
2. Joseph and Mary (Luke 2:4-7)
3. None (Hebrews 4:15)
4. On a cross (Mark 15)
5. Any combination of His dozens of miracles is sufficient
6. True (John 8:58)
7. True (Mark 2:1-12)
8. True (Matthew 20:17-19)
9. True (John 14:6)
10. True (Luke 9:58)
OK, most of us did pretty good with this “Jesus Quiz” but a few of us learned a couple bits of info. I wanted you to take this quiz so you could see who the Bible claims Jesus is. This isn’t what I think, or what the pastor of our church thinks. These claims and facts were straight from Jesus, Himself! I wanted you to know that because truly understanding who Jesus is, and living according to that understanding, is the most important purpose in our lives.
Divide into Small Groups:
Let’s go ahead and split up into our discussion groups, and then afterward we’ll come back together for a final word.??
CLICK HERE for a quick training article on how to maximize your small groups using our small group format—a great resource to equip your small group leaders.??
- AROUND THE CIRCLE: As we get started, let’s all take a second to share our names and the most useless piece of trivia we know.
- ASK A FEW: What makes some information important and other information unimportant?
- ASK A FEW: How important is the information we have about Jesus? Why?
- ASK A FEW: Be honest, did any of you learn anything about Jesus during our little quiz?
- ASK A FEW: Which of those claims about Jesus is the easiest to believe? The hardest?
- ASK A FEW: How important is it that we believe the right things about Jesus?
Read the following passage:
ASK SOMEONE: When Jesus asked this HUGE question, what were some of the answers His disciples gave Him?
ASK SOMEONE: What was Peter’s answer, and what did it mean? (Leaders – Peter’s answer included the fact that Jesus was God’s Son, and thus, God! In other words, Jesus was the One who had commissioned those prophets years and years earlier! Further, those prophets couldn’t forgive sins, but Jesus could.)
ASK A FEW: What were some of the things Jesus said He was going to do for Peter based on his answer?
ASK A FEW: Is it easy or difficult for you to believe that Jesus is God’s Son. Why?
ASK A FEW: If Peter truly believed Jesus was God’s Son – and it’s clear that he did – how do you think that affected his life? (Leaders – This is one of the key questions for this discussion! Because Peter believed Jesus was God, he had to obey Him, worship him, and live for Him. So must we if we believe what Peter believed.)
ASK A FEW: Do you agree with Peter’s answer? Why or why not?
ASK A FEW: For those of you who truly believe Jesus is God’s Son, how can I tell it by looking at your lives?
AROUND THE CIRCLE: What is one thing you’ll do this week to show you believe Jesus is the Messiah, God’s Son?
Matthew 16:13-20 (NIV)
When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Hopefully, you now understand the importance of truly knowing who Jesus is. According to the Bible, there is nothing that’s more important in our lives. According to the Bible, Jesus created us, died for us, and wants to forgive us of our sins. That’s big stuff.
So, what do you believe about Jesus in light of who He truly is?
I know that some of you in here, walked in here already knowing who Jesus is. You believe He is the Son of God, and are trying to live for Him in every way possible. For some of you, it shows. I thank you for that.
For some of you, you walked in here tonight not knowing much about Jesus, or maybe holding to some incorrect beliefs about Jesus. Perhaps you struggled with the quiz, a little. Regardless, Jesus feels the same way about you as He does about those that know Him and love Him: He loves you!
If that’s you right now, do something with me. Answer these questions in your heart and mind, silently.
1. When I think of Jesus, I think….
I love you enough to graciously tell you this truth: no matter how you answered those questions, if your answers weren’t “Jesus is God,” and “my purpose is to live for Him,” then your answers to life’s biggest questions are wrong.
2. I think Jesus is….
3. When I wonder what I was put on Earth for, I tend to….
4. If living for Jesus isn’t my purpose, what is?
5. What will living that kind of life accomplish for me?
But you can change your answers right now! You can put your trust in Him, and begin living for Him right now!
(Instruct students on how to ask God for forgiveness and dedicate their lives to Christ.)
Now, you truly know who Jesus is. Now, your life is about living for God. Now you have the right answer. Go live like it! If you have any questions, make sure to talk to one of our adult leaders before you leave.
Close in Prayer
Written by David R Smith
GET THE BRAND NEW BOOK THAT PEOPLE ARE CALLING "JONATHAN'S BEST EVER WRITTEN"
click here for more